For students abroad looking for the ultimate secondary school experience in New Zealand
Welcome to our school
Taumarunui High School is centrally positioned between Auckland and Wellington, and is located at the foot of Mount Ruapehu. An area steeped in history, Taumarunui offers something for almost everybody. Surrounded by beautiful forestry and natural landscapes, Taumarunui offers nothing less than exciting and adventurous opportunities for everyone.
The Ruapehu region takes its name from the sacred Mount Ruapehu. At 2,797 metres, the volcanic beauty is the highest mountain in the North Island. Less than an hour’s drive and you can spend time skiing on the great Mount Ruapehu, with a choice of two ski fields, Whakapapa or Turoa. On the north-easterly slopes of Mount Ruapehu, Whakapapa is New Zealand’s largest ski field, while on the northern-western slopes, Turoa provides something for everybody, from absolute beginners to experienced boarders and skiers.
An hour’s drive north will see you arriving at the world famous Waitomo Caves, where you can walk through the limestone caves and gaze at the amazing stalagmites and stalactites. You can marvel as the ‘living stars’ of thousands of glow worms while you journey underground in a boat on the Waitomo river.
Taumarunui High School and the surrounding district gives international students a very real taste of New Zealand. Whether it be the endless outdoor opportunities or the chance to experience a whole new world, Taumarunui is the place to spend your time as an international exchange student.
Taumarunui High School warmly welcomes international students to our school and region. International students have access to conventional school curriculum offered at the school and are fully integrated into our normal school programme.
The curriculum offered at the school is comprehensive and diverse. In years 9 and 10 the curriculum is based on the seven essential learning areas of the New Zealand Curriculum. A wide range of options exits for students in years 11, 12 and 13, and multi-level study is also available.
New Zealand qualifications have international standing. Students in year 11, 12 and 13 may study towards the following external qualifications:
- NCEA (Level 1)
- NCEA (Level 2)
- NCEA (Level 3)
- National Certificates (NZQA)
- Safe location-away from city life, accessible by car, train and bus
- Outdoor activities including skiing, snowboarding, kayaking, climbing, fishing, tramping and mountain biking.
- Full range of academic and practical courses, all with qualification outcomes and preparation for University Entrance and other tertiary education.
- Trades academy programmes leading to national certificates in Hospitality, Tourism, Farming and Building and Construction.
- International Student programme with ESOL support in our Learning Resource Centre.
- School hostel and/or accredited home stay accommodation options
- Accredited school for international students-signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
- Excellent sport facilities including a gymnasium, fitness centre, indoor swimming pool, beach volleyball and football courts, astro turf courts, large football, rugby and cricket fields.
- Stunning location surrounded by breath taking natural scenery
- Outstanding facilities including our own on-site school Hostel and Mountain Lodge in Whakapapa Village.
Outdoor Education plays a big part of the learning at Taumarunui High School. In the senior school we run two Adventure Pathways at levels 1 and 2/3.
The Adventure Pathway allows students to learn and develop alongside their other areas of study. They spend a whole day immersed in Outdoor Learning, including kayaking and canoeing, mountain biking, tramping, skiing and boarding through Adventure Based Learning. Our whole day programmes provide opportunities to venture further from school and develop skills in our stunning local area.
The Level 1 programme provides formal assessment through the Sport and PE area of the NZQA while our Level 2/3 programme focuses on accreditation through the National Award in Outdoor Experiences. International Students are welcome to enrol in one, or both, of our Adventure Pathways.